Friday, October 29, 2010

Accept What You Can't Change

I am really coming to terms with the importance of accepting people's choices for their choices. No matter how mad, how crazy, how resentful I may fill, it doesn't change their choices. In fact it may push them towards those options I don't agree with. I am taking a new approach to really accept what I can't change. With all of the stresses of life and all that we really don't have control over, no matter how important it is to us, we are not changing someone's mind by not accepting their choices. Ironically, it brings more harm to our soul then theirs. I am really reaping the benefits of this new attitude and it has been a release of responsibility. There is something to the saying "live and let live." Now let me clarify....I am not becoming this passive person, do what you want to do and don't worry about the consequences person. On the contrary, I feel very strongly that we each have a huge responsibility to be the best person in society and contribute to building a healthy society. But, the very thing killing us physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually is self inflicted.....stress, resentment, hate, and selfishness. The cure? Understanding. Isn't that what we all want, to be understood and then loved anyway? I have reached a place that I have never been before. As I have become more accepting and resigned to love instead of resent, I am amazed at how much it makes me love people even more. This may not be a new concept but it has become paramount in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment